Saturday, February 6, 2010

T.E.D. Talks - GRCP 101 - Tom Wujec

Tom Wujec


Tom Wujec demo's the 13th-century astrolabe
www.ted.com/talks/tom_wujec_demos_the_13th_century_astrolabe.html

How the astrolabe was used for telling time.

My Impression
The talk was very interesting and thorough about how the astrolabe
was used for telling time. I strongly agreed with his statement that progress is
simply a word for change. I don't think that humans have necessarily
gotten smart but, there has just been advancements in technology.
I was very impressed in the fact that as simple as this devise seems
To be, that they had that kind of technology 600 years ago. They
could map the stars and tell the time by the location of the stars in
the sky. They could also tell where the sun would rise and set and
what time it would rise and set. The astrolabe was a technological
wonder. There are literally hundreds of uses for the astrolabe, he only covered the one in this talk. It was the computer of the era.




Links
The Astrolabe
Astrolabe
A general description of the astrolabe and includes links to
get more in depth information.

Tom Wujec / Innovation Speaker / The Lavin Agency
The Lavin Agency
A brief description of Tom's background and achievements.
Also has a brief description of the topics that he speaks on.

Autodesk
Autodesk
Tom's "mission statement" and a brief description of the company
Autodesk.



Peer Review:
What do you like? I like the Tedtalk that was chosen. The Astrolabe sounds like it was a cool invention.

The only thing I found was a sentence that kind of lost me? I added a ?to be? for a way to break those sentences up. Maybe take out the word ?that?. Just my random thought.

I was very impressed in the fact that as simple as this devise seems ?to be?
that they had that kind of technology 600 years ago where they
could map the stars and tell the time by the location of the star in
the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment