Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Short Film The Monk and the Fish

Short Film from non-Stash
"The Monk and the Fish"
Directed by Michaël Dudok De Wit
Released in 1994



This movie starts off with a monk near a watering hole. The monk discovers a fish and soon after starts to try to capture it. The monk spend most the movie trying different ways to capture this fish. In the end he starts to swim after it. This leads to a long chase and finally he accepts his inability to catch the fish. The fish and him come together in the end and float away peacefully.

I was able to find the Wikipedia page on this movie here

I think the film maker was trying to show how we spend soo much time and engery chasing after things we want. In the end if we stop chasing them, we will receive everything we are after. It seems as if the director was trying to show harmony in the end when the monk and the fish floated away together.
This film stood out to me, mainly because I had recognized the name. I had heard the name, but didn’t really know anything about the movie. I also saw that it was nominated for an academy award on the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment